Asian spiced broth with pork balls & cabbage
Extra Lean Pork Mince (5% fat), raw
3 clove(s), finely chopped
1½ inch slice(s)
¼ teaspoon(s), level
Egg, whole, raw
4 medium, raw
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Lemon Grass Stems
1 stem, outer layer removed and the rest chopped
Chilli, green or red
2 individual, deseeded and finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
Chicken stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), made with 1.2 litres hot water
250 g, mixed mushrooms, thickly sliced
150 g, shredded
150 g, cut into florets
Thai Fish Sauce
Hot Pepper Sauce (Tabasco)
Lime Juice, Fresh
2 tablespoon(s), juice of 1 lime
3 medium, sliced
- Mix the pork mince with half the garlic and ginger, all of the peppercorns, chilli flakes and cumin. Form the mixture into 16 balls.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep nonstick frying pan and cook the balls, in batches, for 5-10 minutes until just golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked meatballs to a plate lined with kitchen paper and set aside.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil over a medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer, carefully add the eggs using a slotted spoon and cook for 8-10 minutes. Drain, fill the pan with cold water and set aside for a few minutes to allow the eggs to cool, then peel and cut in half.
- Mist the frying pan with cooking spray and set over a medium heat. Cook the remaining garlic and ginger, the lemongrass and chillies for 2 minutes. Stir in the stock and star anise, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the mushrooms, cabbage and broccoli, then return the meatballs to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the soy, fish and hot pepper sauces and the lime juice. Serve the soup topped with the eggs, spring onions and extra chilli flakes.