Almond & rhubarb cake
SmartPoints® value per serving
Tender rhubarb in a moist almond sponge, this cake is the perfect afternoon pick me up
250 g, trimmed and chopped
Freshly squeezed orange juice
Low Fat Spread
Egg, whole, raw
3 medium, raw, beaten
Plain White Flour
30 g, flaked
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Line a 20cm springform tin with greaseproof paper.
- Put the rhubarb, sugar and orange juice in a pan and cook over a low heat for 6-8 minutes until the rhubarb is nearly tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- To make the sponge, beat the low-fat spread with the sugar until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Fold in the ground almonds and flour.
- Remove the rhubarb from the pan using a slotted spoon. Fold into the cake batter, and spoon into the prepared tin. Scatter the flaked almonds over the top and bake for 30 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in the tin. To turn out, invert onto a plate and remove the paper. Turn the cake the correct way up before slicing and serving.
You can serve each slice of cake with 1 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche. Remember to add the SmartPoints on.