Air Fryer Honey Beignets
SmartPoints® value per serving
2 hr 30 min
Calorie controlled cooking spray
Dried baking yeast
Light Evaporated Milk
Egg, whole, raw
1 large, raw, beaten
Strong White Flour (bread flour)
2 teaspoons, level
- In a small bowl, mix 100ml warm water, ½ tsp honey, and the yeast. Stand for 5-10 minutes, until the yeast turns a little foamy. In another small bowl, whisk the remaining honey, the evaporated milk and the egg.
- In a large bowl, place 270g of flour, then pour in the two wet mixtures. Using a wooden spoon or fork, mix until a smooth batter forms. Gradually mix in 100g flour, until shaggy sticky ball forms. Keep mixing until the dough is stiff enough to gather into solid sticky ball. (Add more flour if it isn’t. Transfer the dough to a work surface. Knead for 3-4 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. (Dough will be very sticky. Try to refrain from adding more flour and instead dampen hands with water as you knead. Use a dough scraper to help bring dough back toward you if needed.)
- Coat a large clean bowl with cooking spray. Transfer dough to the bowl and cover with a damp clean cloth. Allow dough to sit at room temperature until tripled in size, 1 to 2 hours. (Alternatively, cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Let sit at room temperature for 2 hours before continuing.)
- Lightly flour a rimmed baking tray. Punch dough down and stretch out on a work surface to about 12-by-6-inch rectangle. (Wet hands and dough a little to make it easier to work with dough if needed.) Cut dough into 32 squares and place on a prepared baking sheet. Cover with a damp towel and let rise for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 200°C. Coat bottom of air-fryer basket with cooking spray. Working in batches, gently transfer a few pieces of dough to basket, spacing pieces 1 inch apart, and cook until puffed and golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Dust beignets with powdered sugar and serve immediately.