Vegetarian dinner recipes
Vegetarian dinners everyone will love
Dinners for vegetarians does not mean only eating vegies and salad, there are plenty of delicious vegetarian ingredients out there to make tasty vego dinners.
Whether your are a vegetarian or just trying to enjoy some meat-free dinners we have some tasty vegetarian dinner recipes here for you.
5 zero Points foods meat substitutes and their uses
1. Tofu is made from soybeans, is high in protein and calcium making it a great option for vegetarians. It comes in a number of different forms including silken, soft, medium, firm, and extra-firm. Tofu is versatile because it takes on the flavours it is cooked with making it suitable for many dishes.
2. Tempeh is made from fermented soybeans and has a nutty flavour. It is firmer than tofu and has a grainy texture making it an ideal meat substitute and like tofu, it absorbs the flavours it is cooked with so marinating tempeh first is great idea to maximise flavour.
3. Mushrooms have an earthy, rich, ‘meaty’ flavour. Mushrooms are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants including their unique ability to produce their own vitamin D when exposed to sunlight. Vitamin D is essential for bone health.
4. Lentils come in a variety of colours such as green, red and brown. They contain protein, fibre and folate. They are quick to cook, inexpensive and can usually replace mince-meat like in our vegetarian cottage pie.
5. Legumes and beans. Varieties of legumes include black beans, kidney beans and chickpeas and all provide a range of essential nutrients including protein. These all work well in hearty soups, casseroles and stews.
The best news is that tofu, tempeh, mushrooms and legumes including lentils are all zero Points® foods.
Weight Watchers vegetarian dinner recipes
Below you will find a range of hearty vegetarian dinners including our quick sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry, great for a mid-week dinner idea. Indian-style chickpea patties with sweet potato and mint yoghurt. Or try our slow cooked mushroom and barley risotto, pearl barley adds a light and fluffy component that compliments the Swiss brown mushrooms and sharpness of rocket and parmesan.