Rice is a fantastic staple to keep in your pantry. Dense in nutrients and fibre, to keep you feeling fuller for longer. Every supermarket offers a range of different rices and each has its own distinct flavour, texture and best uses. Here’s a quick guide.
The different types of rice
- Black rice- works well in sushi and desserts and is full of antioxidants.
- Wild rice- has nutty texture works well in salads.
- White long-grain rice- has a fluffy texture and neutral flavour.
- Basmati- has an aromatic flavour that works for pilafs and biryani dishes.
- Brown rice- has a high calcium, fibre and iron content. Compared to white rice it keeps you feeling fuller for longer, provides more nutrients.