Chicken and brown rice sushi
¾ cup(s), (150g) short grain
rice wine vinegar
skinless chicken breast
20 g, (2 tbs)
Nori, seaweed, dried
¼ small, cut into thin strips
½ small, cut into thin strips
¼ medium, cut into thin strips
½ small, (50g) cut into thin strips
1 tbs, to serve
10 g, to serve
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- Rinse rice under cold running water until the water runs clear. Cook rice following packet instructions. Transfer to a bowl. Combine the vinegar, sugar and ½ tsp salt, and stir to dissolve. Gradually add the vinegar mixture to the rice using a large metal spoon to combine. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly spray a baking tray with oil. Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken in half horizontally. Place chicken on a board and cover with plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or a rolling pin, gently pound the chicken until it is about 5mm thick.
- Lay out three bowls. Place the flour in one and season it with salt and pepper. In another, beat the egg. Place the breadcrumbs in the other. Using one hand, lightly coat each piece of chicken in the flour, shaking off the excess. Dip into the egg then coat with breadcrumbs, pressing to coat.
- Place the chicken on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Lightly spray the chicken with oil. Bake for 5 minutes, then turn chicken and lightly spray with oil. Cook for another 5 minutes or until golden brown and no longer pink in the middle. Cool, then cut into 7mm slices.
- To assemble the sushi, lay a sheet of the nori, shiny-side-down, on a bamboo rolling mat. Take one quarter of the rice, and using wet hands, spread the rice over two thirds of the nori sheet to the edges, leaving a 2cm border along the edge closest to you. Lightly brush the nori with water.
- Lay a quarter each of the chicken and vegies across the centre of the rice. Roll the nori gently but firmly in the mat. Unroll mat, set the sushi aside. Repeat with the remaining nori, rice and fillings to make 4 rolls. Use a wet knife to cut rolls into pieces. Serve with soy sauce and wasabi.