Whole-Grain Banana Pancakes with Blackberry Syrup
- Total Time
Give your favorite pancake mix a health boost like we did here.
cooking spray1 spray(s)
unsweetened frozen blackberries2 cup(s), or fresh blackberries
powdered sugar2 Tbsp
pancake mix1 cup(s)
flax seed(s)¼ cup(s)
wheat germ¼ cup(s), toasted-variety
fat free skim milk1 cup(s)
egg white(s)3 large
walnut oil1 Tbsp, roasted-variety
vanilla extract1 tsp
banana(s)2 medium, thinly sliced
- Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and preheat over medium heat.
- In a small saucepan, combine blackberries and powdered sugar; set pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook until sauce thickens and reduces, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine pancake mix, flax seeds and wheat germ; mix with a fork to combine. Add milk, egg whites, oil and vanilla extract; whisk until large lumps disappear (ignore any small lumps).
- For each pancake, pour a scant 1/4-cup of batter onto hot griddle or skillet. Cook until bubbles appear around edges and then top each pancake with banana slices; flip pancake. Cook until golden on both sides, about 1 minute more.
- Remove cooked pancakes to a serving plate and cover with foil to keep warm (or keep warm in a 250ºF oven). Repeat with remaining batter to make 12 pancakes. Serve pancakes with blackberry syrup spooned over top. Yields 2 pancakes and about 2 tablespoons of syrup per serving.