Whole-Grain Banana Pancakes with Blackberry Syrup
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 cup(s) unsweetened frozen blackberries, or fresh blackberries
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 cup(s) pancake mix
- 1/4 cup(s) flax seed(s)
- 1/4 cup(s) wheat germ, toasted-variety
- 1 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 3 large egg white(s)
- 1 Tbsp walnut oil, roasted-variety
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium banana(s), thinly sliced
- Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and preheat over medium heat.
- In a small saucepan, combine blackberries and powdered sugar; set pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook until sauce thickens and reduces, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine pancake mix, flax seeds and wheat germ; mix with a fork to combine. Add milk, egg whites, oil and vanilla extract; whisk until large lumps disappear (ignore any small lumps).
- For each pancake, pour a scant 1/4-cup of batter onto hot griddle or skillet. Cook until bubbles appear around edges and then top each pancake with banana slices; flip pancake. Cook until golden on both sides, about 1 minute more.
- Remove cooked pancakes to a serving plate and cover with foil to keep warm (or keep warm in a 250ºF oven). Repeat with remaining batter to make 12 pancakes. Serve pancakes with blackberry syrup spooned over top. Yields 2 pancakes and about 2 tablespoons of syrup per serving.