Wheat berry and bulgur turkey-apple stuffing
Uncooked wheat berries
1 Tbsp, divided
Uncooked extra lean ground turkey breast
¼ cup(s), fresh, chopped, divided
3 Tbsp, fresh, chopped, divided
1 tsp, divided
½ tsp, freshly ground, divided
1½ cup(s), sliced (white and light green parts only; about 2 large)
1 cup(s), chopped
2 large, Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, cut into bite-size chunks
Canned chicken broth
1½ cup(s), divided (fat-free, reduced-sodium, if desired)
¼ cup(s), fresh, chopped
- Place wheat berries in a medium saucepan and cover with 3 inches of water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring once or twice. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, put bulgur in another medium saucepan and cover with 3 inches of water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to same bowl as wheat berries.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add turkey to skillet and cook, breaking up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons of sage, 1 1/2 tablespoons of thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Cook, stirring, until turkey is coated with herb mixture, about 1 minute; transfer to bowl with wheat berries and bulgur.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in same skillet. Add leeks and celery; sauté until vegetables are almost tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in apples; saute until apples are light golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of broth; bring to a simmer and simmer until apples and vegetables are tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon of sage, 1 1/2 tablespoons of thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper; toss over low heat for 1 minute. Scrape into bowl with wheat berries and bulgur. (If desired, stir in enough of remaining broth to moisten stuffing to your liking.) Stir in parsley. Yields about 1 cup per serving.