Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta
- Total Time
This delectable light Italian dessert is simply an eggless custard. Our recipe is easily doubled, making it perfect for dinner parties and special occasions.
unflavored gelatin⅜ Tbsp, (1 1/4 teaspoons)
water2 Tbsp, cold
vanilla bean(s)1 each, split, or 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
low-fat buttermilk1 cup(s)
half-and-half cream¾ cup(s)
- Lightly spray 4 (5-ounce) ramekins, 6-ounce custard cups, or wineglasses with nonstick spray.
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in cup. Let stand until gelatin is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, with edge of small knife, split vanilla-bean pod and scrape out seeds, reserving both pod and seeds.
- Combine buttermilk, half-and-half, sugar, and vanilla pod and seeds in small saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, whisking occasionally, until mixture is hot and sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and add gelatin mixture, whisking until it is completely dissolved. Pour custard through sieve set over medium bowl or glass measure. Stir in vanilla extract, if using.
- Divide custard mixture evenly among prepared ramekins. Refrigerate until panna cotta is chilled and set, at least 4 hours or up to 1 day.
- Per serving: 1 panna cotta