Turkey sausage, white bean and butternut squash soup
2 tsp, extra-virgin
2 large, chopped
2 tsp, divided
Uncooked turkey sausage(s)
1¼ pound(s), Italian-variety
Canned chicken broth
Uncooked butternut squash
2½ pound(s), cubed
1 Tbsp, minced
Canned cannellini beans
38 oz, rinsed and drained (two 19 oz cans)
Fresh lemon juice
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and sauté until softened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove casings from sausages; pull sausages apart into bite-size pieces with your fingers. Add sausage to pot; cook, stirring often, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add broth, squash, sage and nutmeg; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until squash is fork tender, about 10 minutes. Add beans; stir and cook until heated through, about 10 minutes more.
- Stir in lemon juice and remaining teaspoon salt. Serve garnished with cheese. Yields about 1 cup soup and 1/2 teaspoon cheese per serving.