Turkey Sausage, White Bean and Butternut Squash Soup
- Total Time
This hearty soup combines sweet butternut squash with fresh sage and spicy turkey sausage – a fantastic flavor trio.
olive oil2 tsp, extra-virgin
uncooked onion(s)2 large, chopped
kosher salt2 tsp, divided
uncooked turkey sausage(s)1 ¼ pound(s), Italian-variety
minced garlic2 tsp
canned chicken broth8 cup(s)
uncooked butternut squash2 ½ pound(s), cubed
fresh sage1 Tbsp, minced
ground nutmeg¼ tsp
canned cannellini beans38 oz, rinsed and drained (two 19 oz cans)
fresh lemon juice2 tsp
grated Parmesan cheese2 Tbsp
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and sauté until softened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove casings from sausages; pull sausages apart into bite-size pieces with your fingers. Add sausage to pot; cook, stirring often, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add broth, squash, sage and nutmeg; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until squash is fork tender, about 10 minutes. Add beans; stir and cook until heated through, about 10 minutes more.
- Stir in lemon juice and remaining teaspoon salt. Serve garnished with cheese. Yields about 1 cup soup and 1/2 teaspoon cheese per serving.