- 2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin
- 2 large uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/4 pound(s) uncooked turkey sausage(s), Italian-variety
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 8 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 2 1/2 pound(s) uncooked butternut squash, cubed
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 38 oz canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (two 19 oz cans)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and sauté until softened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove casings from sausages; pull sausages apart into bite-size pieces with your fingers. Add sausage to pot; cook, stirring often, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
Add garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add broth, squash, sage and nutmeg; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until squash is fork tender, about 10 minutes. Add beans; stir and cook until heated through, about 10 minutes more.
Stir in lemon juice and remaining teaspoon salt. Serve garnished with cheese. Yields about 1 cup soup and 1/2 teaspoon cheese per serving.
- Cut prep time by buying already cubed butternut squash. Freeze the sausage for an hour or two before use to make it easier to slice.