Turkey and Rice–Stuffed Peppers
- Total Time
cooking spray1 spray(s)
uncooked bell pepper(s)4 item(s), medium, red or green
canned crushed tomatoes15 oz, (1 can)
uncooked onion(s)1 large, chopped
uncooked 93% lean ground turkey¾ pound(s)
uncooked white rice½ cup(s)
fresh parsley¼ cup(s), chopped
garlic clove(s)3 medium clove(s), minced
dill1 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
table salt1 tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
olive oil1 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray medium deep baking dish or 2-quart soufflé dish with nonstick spray.
- Cut thin slice from tops of bell peppers. Remove ribs and seeds and reserve tops.
- To make stuffing, stir together ¼ cup of tomatoes, half of onion, turkey, rice, parsley, half of garlic, dill, ¾ teaspoon salt, and black pepper in medium bowl. Set aside.
- To make sauce, heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining half of onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 minutes. Add remaining half of garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in remaining tomatoes, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute.
- Spoon stuffing loosely into peppers and arrange peppers upright in prepared baking dish. Place tops on peppers. Spoon sauce around peppers.
- Cover and bake until rice and peppers are tender, 1 hour 15 minutes–1 hour 30 minutes.
- Per serving (1 stuffed pepper and ½ cup sauce)