Turkey and rice–stuffed peppers
uncooked bell pepper(s)
4 item(s), medium, red or green
canned crushed tomatoes
1 large, chopped
uncooked 93% lean ground turkey
uncooked white rice
¼ cup(s), chopped
3 medium clove(s), minced
1 Tbsp, fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray medium deep baking dish or 2-quart soufflé dish with nonstick spray.
- Cut thin slice from tops of bell peppers. Remove ribs and seeds and reserve tops.
- To make stuffing, stir together ¼ cup of tomatoes, half of onion, turkey, rice, parsley, half of garlic, dill, ¾ teaspoon salt, and black pepper in medium bowl. Set aside.
- To make sauce, heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining half of onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 minutes. Add remaining half of garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in remaining tomatoes, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute.
- Spoon stuffing loosely into peppers and arrange peppers upright in prepared baking dish. Place tops on peppers. Spoon sauce around peppers.
- Cover and bake until rice and peppers are tender, 1 hour 15 minutes-1 hour 30 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper and ½ cup sauce