Tricolor Vegetable Ribbons with Lemon, Thyme and Pecorino
- Total Time
This unique side is a great way to use up summer squash from the garden. Top with grilled chicken or shrimp and you have an excellent main dish.
uncooked zucchini2 small, ends trimmed
yellow summer squash2 small, ends trimmed
uncooked carrot(s)4 medium, ends trimmed, peeled
olive oil1 tsp, extra virgin
uncooked red onion(s)1 medium, halved and thinly sliced
minced garlic1 ½ tsp
kosher salt½ tsp
black pepper⅛ tsp
fresh thyme1 ½ tsp, chopped
lemon zest¾ tsp
grated Pecorino cheese¼ cup(s)
- Run a sharp vegetable peeler down the length of each zucchini and summer squash to make “ribbons” (stop when you reach the seedy center). Use the same technique to make long carrot ribbons.
- In a large nonstick sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook until onions begin to soften, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add zucchini, summer squash, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper; cook, tossing often, until vegetables are tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Season with thyme and lemon zest; sprinkle with cheese and serve. Yields about 1 cup vegetables and 1 tablespoon cheese per serving.