Tomato-stuffed chicken with roasted fennel
- Total Time
In this flavorful dish, succulent chicken breasts are filled with fresh tomatoes and sharp Romano and served with fennel that’s roasted with bacon. It's a meal that’s impressive enough for company and takes only about 45 minutes to make.
cooking spray3 spray(s)
uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast20 oz, 4 (5-ounce) breasts
table salt1 tsp
black pepper½ tsp
grated Pecorino Romano cheese¼ cup(s)
fresh thyme1 tsp, minced
fresh thyme4 sprig(s)
fennel seed2 tsp, crushed
uncooked fennel bulb(s)2 item(s), each cut into 8 wedges, fronds reserved
uncooked reduced fat center cut bacon2 slice(s)
white wine3 Tbsp
olive oil1 Tbsp
fresh lemon juice1 Tbsp
- 1 Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray large rimmed sheet pan with nonstick spray.
- 2 Cut 2 tomatoes into 6 slices each. Halve the remaining 2 tomatoes lengthwise. Set aside.
- 3 Place chicken on cutting board. Holding sharp knife parallel to board and starting at one side, cut three-quarters of way through chicken and open up like a book. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place 2 tomato slices on bottom half of each chicken breast. Sprinkle tomatoes evenly with Romano and minced thyme. Close top of each chicken breast over tomatoes. Place chicken in center of prepared pan. Top chicken with remaining 4 tomato slices; sprinkle with fennel seeds, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Top tomato slices with thyme sprigs.
- 4 Arrange fennel wedges in single layer in pan; sprinkle fennel with bacon. Arrange tomato halves in single layer in pan. Drizzle chicken, fennel, and tomatoes with wine, oil, and lemon juice; sprinkle tomatoes and fennel with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 5 Roast chicken and vegetables, without turning, until chicken is cooked through, tomatoes begin to shrivel, and fennel is crisp- tender, 25–30 minutes.
- 6 Transfer to plates; spoon any cooking juices over chicken. Sprinkle with chopped fennel fronds.
- Serving size: 1 stuffed chicken breast, 4 fennel wedges, and 1/2 tomato