- 1 cup(s) uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), diced
- 4 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked carrot(s), small-diced
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked bell pepper(s), small-diced, red
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp rosemary, leaves, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked potato(es), small-diced, peeled
- 7 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked zucchini, small-diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, (or to taste)
Preheat oven to 325ºF. Spread quinoa in a thin layer on a rimmed baking sheet; toast in oven until it completely changes color from beige to dark brown, about 30 minutes. Use a spatula to stir it every 10 minutes to toast it evenly and keep edges from burning; set quinoa aside.
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot, bell pepper and a pinch of salt; sweat (cook over low heat, stirring frequently) until all vegetables have softened, 10-12 minutes. Add rosemary and cumin; cook 1-2 minutes until spices bloom (become very aromatic). Add potato, toasted quinoa and vegetable broth; stir.
Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until quinoa is tender, about 30 minutes. Add zucchini; cook 5 minutes more. Stir in lemon juice and red pepper flakes.
Serving size: 1 c
- This recipe, originally by Amanda Freitag, has been adapted from The Chef Next Door for Weight Watchers Magazine. If soup is too thick, add a small amount of water or broth.