Sweet Pea Cupcakes with Swiss Meringue Frosting
- Total Time
They might look like mint cupcakes but don’t be fooled by the green hue. These cupcakes are super-moist and super-sweet thanks to sweet peas!
cooking spray4 spray(s)
white all-purpose flour1 cup(s)
baking powder1 tsp
sea salt½ tsp, fine variety
uncooked peas2 cup(s), fresh English variety (or a 10 oz bag frozen English peas)
unsweetened applesauce¼ cup(s)
lemon zest1 Tbsp, finely grated
egg(s)3 large, separated
sugar1 cup(s), divided
egg white(s)2 large
cream of tartar½ tsp
vanilla extract½ tsp
sea salt1 pinch, fine variety
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a regular-size muffin tin with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt; set aside.
- Place peas in a microwavable container; cook on HIGH until just tender, about 3 minutes (will vary depending on strength of your microwave). Drain peas; rinse under cold running water. Drain again; transfer to the jar of a blender. Add applesauce, lemon zest and egg yolks; puree mixture until completely smooth, about 90 seconds.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk three egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase speed to medium-high; gradually add 1/2 c sugar, whisking until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Pour pureed pea mixture over whipped whites; fold together as gently as possible with a wooden spoon. Sift reserved flour mixture over pea mixture; mix together as gently as possible. Evenly divide batter among prepared muffin holes. Bake until cupcakes pull away from sides of pan, about 17 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make frosting while cupcakes are baking, clean mixing bowl. Place two egg whites, remaining 1/2 c sugar and cream of tartar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer; set over a saucepan with simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer bowl with frosting to electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; beat, starting on low speed, gradually increasing to high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, 5-7 minutes. Add vanilla and pinch salt; mix until combined.
- Decorate each cupcake with about 2 Tbsp frosting using an offset spatula or use a piping bag.
- Serving size: 1 cupcake