Sweet-and-smoky roast chicken
- Total Time
Smoked paprika, which gives this chicken its flame-kissed flavor, is made from sweet red peppers that are smoked and dried. It’s not spicy, but the smoky flavor is bold, so use it sparingly.
cooking spray1 spray(s)
packed brown sugar2 Tbsp
paprika4 tsp, smoked
balsamic vinegar4 tsp
Sriracha hot sauce1 Tbsp
garlic clove(s)2 large clove(s), crushed through press
table salt¾ tsp
raw skinless boneless light and dark meat1 ¾ pound(s), 1 (3 1/2-pound whole chicken, giblets removed)
- 1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray roasting rack with nonstick spray and place in roasting pan.
- 2 Combine brown sugar, paprika, vinegar, Sriracha, garlic, and salt in small bowl. With your fingers, loosen skin on chicken breasts, legs, and thighs. Rub seasoning mixture on meat under skin; press skin back into place. Tuck wings under chicken and tie legs together with kitchen string. Place chicken on rack in roasting pan, breast side up. Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh registers 165°F, 1 1/4–1 1/2 hours.
- 3 Transfer chicken to cutting board; let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pour pan juices into glass measuring cup; skim and discard fat.
- 4 Discard skin and wings and carve chicken into 6 pieces. Serve with pan juices.
- Serving size: 1 piece chicken and 2 teaspoons pan juices