Sustainable Halibut À La Grecque
Store-bought chicken stock
8 fl oz
1½ tsp, toasted
¼ cup(s), very thinly sliced
Olive oil cooking spray
12 medium, quartered
6 medium, French Breakfast variety
Fresh lemon juice
6 medium, baby variety
Uncooked halibut fillet(s)
2 pound(s), six 6-oz pieces, 1-inch-thick each
¾ tsp, or to taste
¼ tsp, or to taste
1 cup(s), fresh English variety
2 medium, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
12 leaf/leaves, torn into pieces
- Combine vinegar through shallot in a container, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the quartered mushrooms and radishes on the sheet and spray them with cooking spray. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes, until they are lightly browned and softened.
- Pour 4 cups of water into a large bowl and add the lemon juice. To prepare the baby artichokes, remove the outer leaves, trim the stems, and trim the outside green layer of the artichoke base. Cut each artichoke in half lengthwise, remove the choke using a paring knife, and discard it. Discard the top section of the leaves. Cut each half of the artichoke lengthwise into thirds and submerge the artichokes in the lemon water.
- In a large saucepan, bring the cooking liquid to a boil over high heat, then turn off the heat. Season the halibut with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet, preferably cast-iron, and coat it with cooking spray. Place the fish in the skillet and cook without moving it until nicely browned on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a fish spatula, transfer the fish to a baking dish just large enough to fit the fish in one layer with the browned side up. Strain the cooking liquid, discarding the solids, and pour the cooking liquid around (not directly over) the fish, taking care not to cover the top of the fish with liquid. Place the fish in the oven and bake until it is opaque throughout and flakes easily, about 15 minutes.
- While the fish is in the oven, remove the baby artichokes from the water, pat them dry with paper towels, and season with salt. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Add the baby artichokes and cook until they start to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the mushrooms, radishes, peas, and tomatoes and cook until the artichokes are tender and all the ingredients are heated through, adding a few drops of water if the mixture begins to brown or stick to the pan.
- Divide the fish among individual shallow bowls. To each, add about 1/3 cup of the cooking liquid and an equal amount of the vegetables. Finish each dish with some basil and serve.
- Serving size: 1 halibut fillet, 1 c vegetables