- 2 tsp salted butter
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp table salt, divided
- 64 oz reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 oz uncooked pasta, small shape such as ditalini (about 1 cup)
- 10 oz frozen mixed vegetables, such as peas, carrots, corn and green beans
- 15 oz canned tomatoes, petite cut, rinsed and drained
- 6 oz cooked skinless boneless chicken breast(s), chopped
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup(s) chives, fresh, chopped (optional)
Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, until onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add broth and increase heat to high; bring to a boil. Stir in pasta, frozen vegetables and tomatoes; cook until pasta is done, about 7 minutes.
Stir in chicken, cheese, lemon juice, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and chives; cook 1 more minute to heat through. Yields about 1 1/2 cups soup per serving.