Summer Vegetable and Farro Salad
- 3/4 cup(s) uncooked farro
- 1/4 tsp table salt, for cooking farro
- 2 cup(s) water
- 2 medium yellow corn on the cob, kernels removed (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup(s) uncooked zucchini, diced
- 1/4 cup(s) fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup(s) light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup(s) dill, fresh, chopped
- 3 Tbsp uncooked shallot(s), minced
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 medium plum tomato(es), diced (or about 1 cup diced ripe tomato)
- Combine farro, salt and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until farro is tender, about 20 to 30 minutes (pearled/semi-pearled farro cooks in 20 to 30 minutes while whole farro cooks in 60 minutes - check your package carefully); drain well. Spoon farro into a serving bowl with corn and zucchini; mix well and allow farro to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, dill, shallot, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes to farro mixture and then drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes for flavors to blend. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
This recipe can be made with many types of grains. Give brown rice, barley or wheat berries a try. Although we’ve added the corn and zucchini in their uncooked state, you can microwave them until tender or sauté them in a nonstick pan until lightly browned.