Stuffed Delicata Squash with Farro, Leek & Mushrooms
Uncooked delicata squash
4 medium, halved lengthwise, insides scraped out and discarded
Uncooked semi-pearled farro
½ cup(s), mixed (like shiitake, oyster, and maitake), roughly chopped
½ cup(s), white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
Grated Parmesan cheese
1 oz, finely
1 oz, grated
2 medium clove(s), roughly chopped
¼ cup(s), roughly chopped
- Roast the squash: Place an oven rack in the center of the oven, then preheat to 450°F. Place the currants in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of warm water; set aside to plump. Place the squash on a sheet pan; drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper; turn to coat. Arrange in an even layer, cut side down. Roast 19 to 21 minutes, or until browned and tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven, leaving the oven on. Carefully flip each squash half on the sheet pan, to be cut side up.
- Cook the farro: While the squash roasts, heat a medium pot of salted water to boiling on high. Once boiling, add the farro and cook, uncovered, 16 to 18 minutes, or until tender. Turn off the heat; drain thoroughly and return to pot.
- Cook the vegetables: While the farro cooks, in a medium pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the chopped mushrooms in an even layer. Cook, without stirring, 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes, or until slightly softened. Transfer to a plate. To the same pan, add 1⁄2 teaspoon of olive oil; heat on medium-high until hot. Add the sliced leek and chopped garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes, or until slightly softened. Add the browned mushrooms, thyme, and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes, or until combined. Turn off the heat. Stir in the plumped currants, draining before adding.
- Make the filling: To the pot of cooked farro, add the cooked vegetables, fontina cheese, and 1 1⁄2 teaspoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Assemble & bake the squash: Tightly pack each roasted squash half with the filling; drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Top with the parmesan cheese. Bake 5 to 6 minutes, or until lightly browned and the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and let stand at least 2 minutes. Garnish with the parsley. Enjoy!