- Total Time
What could be better than sweet, bubbling fruit nestled under tender, flaky sour cream biscuits? Our version is a delicious and low-fat alternative!
unsweetened frozen strawberries16 oz, thawed for 15 minutes
frozen rhubarb14 oz, or fresh, cut into 1-inch pieces, thawed for 15 minutes if frozen
all-purpose flour1 ¼ cup(s)
sugar3 Tbsp, divided
baking powder¾ tsp
baking soda¼ tsp
reduced-calorie margarine4 Tbsp, cut into small pieces
fat free sour cream½ cup(s)
fat free skim milk¼ cup(s)
egg(s)1 large, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar and cornstarch. Mix well and spoon mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- To prepare dough, in a large bowl or food processor, combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Add margarine and mix with your fingers or process in the food processor until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add sour cream and milk and mix until dough comes together.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead 5 times, until blended.
- Divide dough into 16 equal pieces and roll each piece into a small ball. Place balls on top of strawberry-rhubarb mixture and gently press down to flatten. Brush the surface of dough with egg and sprinkle remaining sugar over top.
- Bake until filling is bubbly and top is golden brown, 45 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before serving. Yields about 1/2 cup fruit mixture and 2 biscuits per serving.