Steak on garlic toast with cherry tomato salsa
6 medium clove(s), whole unpeeled
Fresh cherry tomato(es)
2 cup(s), halved (or grape tomatoes)
2 medium, cut into small wedges
½ large, peeled and diced
Uncooked red onion(s)
½ medium, finely chopped
¼ cup(s), chopped
1 medium, seeded and minced (wear gloves to prevent irritation)
Apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp, extra virgin
Uncooked lean trimmed sirloin beef
1 pound(s), boneless steak, trimmed of all visible fat
1 tsp, coarsely ground
4 slice(s), (1-inch) seeded, toasted
- Bring the garlic and the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the garlic is very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain. When the garlic is cool enough to handle, remove the skins; put the garlic into a small bowl and mash. Set aside.
- Spray the broiler rack with nonstick spray; preheat the broiler.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the salsa, combine the tomatoes, tomatillos, cucumber, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, vinegar, oil, and salt in a medium bowl. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle the steak with the oregano and black pepper. Broil the steak 5 inches from the heat until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the steak registers 160°F for medium, 145°F for medium-rare, about 5 minutes on each side for medium. Let stand 10 minutes, then thinly slice the steak on an angle across the grain.
- Spread the toast slices with the garlic spread. Arrange the meat on top of the bread slices. Top with the salsa. Serve at once.