Spring Asparagus and Lemon Fettuccine
- 1/2 pound(s) uncooked fettucine
- 2 tsp salted butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound(s) uncooked asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1 cup(s) fat-free half-and-half
- 1 tsp cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, fresh, chopped
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and keep hot.
- Meanwhile, place butter and oil in a large skillet; melt over medium heat. Add asparagus, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until asparagus begins to brown, about 6 minutes; remove from skillet and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and half and half; add to skillet used to cook asparagus. Place skillet over medium heat; add cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove skillet from heat. Add pasta, asparagus and remaining ingredients to skillet; stir to combine and serve immediately. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
If using thick asparagus, peel the bottom of each stalk with a vegetable peeler and then slice each spear in half lengthwise to ensure they'll be properly cooked.