- 1 piece(s) ginger root, 2-inches, finely minced or grated
- 1/8 tsp whole cloves, use 2 or 3 cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 3 medium grapefruit(s), seedless, one each pink, white and red
- 3 medium orange(s), 2 blood variety and 1 navel variety
- 2 large, large tangerine(s)
- 1 medium lemon(s), Meyer variety
To make syrup, in a small saucepan, combine ginger, cloves and allspice; sprinkle with sugar. Using a pestle or back of a wooden spoon, crush sugar into spices, making sure to break them into many pieces; stir in water. Set over high heat and bring to a boil for 1 minute; reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
Peel off skin and cut off white pith from each piece of fruit. Hold each piece of fruit over a large, nonreactive bowl; slice into each fruit section with a v-shaped cut to remove citrus flesh from membranes, keeping the bowl underneath to catch juice and citrus sections. When you finish removing segments from each piece of fruit, squeeze center membranes over bowl to catch remaining juice; remove any pits that fall into the bowl. (To watch a video of this technique, click here).
Strain syrup and pour over fruit; toss well. Serve chilled. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
- You can use a variety of citrus fruit in this recipe: Temple oranges, mandarins, clementines, etc. are all wonderful options. Use this citrus salad to top lemon sorbet or add seltzer for a refreshing drink. For a party, consider subbing champagne or rum for the seltzer (could affect SmartPoints value).