Spiced-apple breakfast casserole
Reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
12 slice(s), cubed
Granny Smith apple
5 large, peeled and thinly sliced
Unpacked light brown sugar
¼ cup(s), divided
2 tsp, divided
Regular liquid egg substitute
Fat free skim milk
⅛ tsp, or to taste
1 pinch(es), or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8- X 10-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place bread cubes on a cookie sheet; toast in oven for 10 minutes.
- While bread toasts, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add apples and sauté until slightly softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add water, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; cook on high, stirring frequently, until apple slices are softened and starting to brown.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg substitute, milk, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, remaining teaspoon cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt and nutmeg. Add toasted bread cubes and sautéed apples to egg mixture; stir well to coat and then pour into prepared casserole dish.
- Bake casserole, covered with aluminum foil, for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook until eggs are set and top begins to brown, about 15 to 20 minutes more. Slice into 8 pieces and serve drizzled with syrup. Yields 1 piece and 1 1/2 teaspoons syrup per serving.