- 2 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
- 12 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta, spaghetti
- 2 large egg white(s)
- 1 large egg(s)
- 2/3 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup(s) basil, fresh, chopped (plus extra leaves for garnish)
- 9 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 32 oz bottled spaghetti sauce
- 2 oz pepperoni, finely julienned (about 1/2 cup)
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a 9- X 13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
Break spaghetti into 2-inch pieces and cook, al dente, according to directions; drain and cool.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg whites and egg until frothy. Stir in milk, garlic powder, salt, oregano, basil and 1/3 of mozzarella; add cooked spaghetti and stir until thoroughly combined. Spread spaghetti mixture evenly in bottom of baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes; remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
Spread spaghetti sauce over pasta; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Scatter pepperoni evenly over cheese layer. Return to oven and bake until heated through and cheese is bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, garnish with basil and then cut into 10 servings. Yields 1 slice per serving.
- We renovated Spaghetti Pizza by: Opting for more nutritious whole-wheat pasta. Substituting egg whites for some whole eggs. Using part-skim mozzarella cheese instead of full fat. Cutting the pepperoni into small pieces in order to spread it throughout the dish and using less.