Spaghetti with Broccoli Sauce
1 medium, chopped
Uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti
Canned chicken broth
6 cup(s), florets, fresh or frozen
Low fat cream cheese
¼ cup(s), softened
Crushed red pepper flakes
Grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), high-quality recommended
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat; add oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add onions; sauté until onions turn translucent and start to caramelize, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- While onions are caramelizing, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta but reserve some cooking liquid. Do not cool pasta with cold water.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over high heat, bring broth to a boil. Add broccoli, reduce heat to medium-low and cover tightly; cook for 10 minutes. Remove broccoli from broth with a slotted spoon and add broccoli to sautéed onions; reserve broth.
- Add cream cheese to onion-broccoli mixture; stir until cream cheese dissolves. Simmer gently over low heat, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape onion mixture into a food processor and add reserved broth, salt and red pepper flakes; puree until smooth.
- Place pasta in a serving dish and top with sauce; sprinkle with cheese. Yields about 1 cup per serving.