South African Pumpkin Fritters
- Total Time
This South African classic can go savory or sweet. Serve as a snack with spicy mango salsa or a dessert with some whipped cream and a drizzle of maple syrup.*
all-purpose flour½ cup(s)
baking powder2 tsp
table salt½ tsp, or to taste
ground cinnamon1 tsp
canned pumpkin15 oz
egg(s)2 large, separated
cooking spray3 spray(s), divided
olive oil1 Tbsp, divided
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin with egg yolks; mix until well-combined.
- In another small bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Alternating in batches, add flour mixture and egg whites to pumpkin mixture, stirring after each addition.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; set over medium-low heat. Add a teaspoon oil; heat until oil shimmers. Drop 4 large spoonfuls of batter onto skillet to form four 3-inch fritters; cook until bubbles start to form along sides, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Flip fritters and cook until lightly browned, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes more; remove fritters to a serving plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat process two more times to make twelve fritters total. Yields 1 fritter per serving.