Smothered Pork Chops
Smothered Pork Chops
- 2 clove(s) garlic clove(s), smashed
- 1 pound(s) uncooked lean boneless pork chop(s), four 4 oz chops, washed, patted dry
- 1 tsp table salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, divided
- 4 spray(s) cooking spray, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), Spanish-variety, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 3 medium sweet red pepper(s), or a variety of bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked white rice, long-grain, rinsed and drained
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- Rub garlic all over pork; reserve garlic. Next, rub 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper all over pork.
- Coat a large heavy pan with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, sear pork chops until nicely browned, about 2 minutes per side; remove pork and set aside.
- Off heat, coat pan again with cooking spray; add 1/2 tablespoon oil. Reduce heat to medium; add garlic and cook until garlic starts to turn golden and caramelize, about 1 to 2 minutes (do not allow garlic to burn). Add onions and sauté until onions turn translucent and become golden, scraping bottom of pan occasionally to incorporate drippings, about 10 minutes; remove onions and set aside.
- Off heat, coat pan again with cooking spray; add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil and set over medium heat. When hot, add peppers and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes; remove and set aside.
- Add pork back to pan; top each pork chop with 2 tablespoons uncooked rice. Spoon tomatoes over pork; season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Tightly cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes. Spoon peppers and onions over top and cover again; cook until rice is tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Yields 1 pork chop and about 1 cup rice with vegetables per serving.
Change the flavor profile of this recipe by using canned tomatoes with jalapenos or canned fired-roasted tomatoes with Italian herbs. Or add sliced olives during the last 5 minutes of cooking (could affect SmartPoints value).