Slow Cooker Vegetarian Strata
fat free egg substitute
1½ cup(s), pasteurized, such as Egg Beaters
3 cup(s), or baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
roasted red peppers (packed in water)
1 cup(s), chopped
fat free flour tortilla(s)
8 item(s), 7-8
reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. Spray the insert (or inside) or a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together milk and egg substitute until combined. Set aside.
- 3. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until they give off their liquid and it evaporates to a glaze, about 7 minutes. Stir in salsa and red pepper; set aside.
- 4. Layer tortillas, mushroom sauce and cheese (in that order) in the slow cooker, tearing the tortillas to fit the contours of the machine without creeping up the sides. Make 3 or 4 layers of tortilla-sauce-cheese, ending with cheese.
- 5. Pour milk mixture over the top; press down with the back of a wooden spoon to make sure everything’s moistened. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until the eggs are set.