Slow Cooker Vegetarian Strata
- Total Time
You can set this up in the slow cooker insert the night before you want to eat it. Just cover and refrigerate. In the morning, cook for 20 to 30 minutes longer than stated in the recipe.
cooking spray1 spray(s)
low-fat milk3 cup(s)
fat free egg substitute1 ½ cup(s), pasteurized, such as Egg Beaters
Cremini mushrooms3 cup(s), or baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
salsa verde1 cup(s)
roasted red peppers (packed in water)1 cup(s), chopped
fat free flour tortilla(s)8 item(s), 7-8
reduced-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese8 oz
- 1. Spray the insert (or inside) or a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together milk and egg substitute until combined. Set aside.
- 3. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until they give off their liquid and it evaporates to a glaze, about 7 minutes. Stir in salsa and red pepper; set aside.
- 4. Layer tortillas, mushroom sauce and cheese (in that order) in the slow cooker, tearing the tortillas to fit the contours of the machine without creeping up the sides. Make 3 or 4 layers of tortilla-sauce-cheese, ending with cheese.
- 5. Pour milk mixture over the top; press down with the back of a wooden spoon to make sure everything’s moistened. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until the eggs are set.