- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 1/2 medium uncooked leek(s), or 1 large, white part only, finely chopped
- 1 item(s) Hungarian pepper(s), cored, seeded and finely chopped (or an Italian pepper)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or 1 habanero chile, cored, seeded and minced*
- 1 rib(s), large uncooked celery, rib, chopped
- 2 cup(s) fresh mushroom(s), sliced
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 head(s), small uncooked cauliflower, cut into florets (about 4 cups)
- 15 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 cup(s) fat free vegetable broth, or chicken broth
Coat a large nonstick pot with cooking spray. Add leek, Hungarian pepper, red pepper flakes or habanero chile, celery, mushrooms and garlic; sauté over medium-high heat until golden, about 5 minutes.
Spoon mushroom mixture into a 5-quart slow cooker. Add cauliflower, beans, oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and broth; stir. Cover and cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours.
Just before serving, remove 1 cup of beans and vegetables, and about 1/4 cup of liquid. Place in a blender and puree; return to slow cooker and stir to combine. Yields about 1 heaping cup per serving.
- *Do not touch seeds with bare hands.