- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 medium uncooked red onion(s), chopped
- 1 rib(s), large uncooked celery, rib, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper(s), chopped
- 15 oz canned kidney beans, dark-variety, rinsed and drained
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 9 oz cooked chicken sausage(s), andouille-style, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 cup(s) fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup(s) uncooked white rice, converted-variety recommended
Place garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper, beans, tomatoes with their juices and sausage in a 5-quart slow cooker. Add thyme and pepper; stir well.
Pour in broth and rice; stir again. Cover slow cooker and set on high power; cook for 4 hours. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
- We recommend converted rice because regular long-grain rice can become mushy in slow cooker recipes. To turn up the heat, add 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper with the thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.