Slow Cooker Poached Eggs Ranchero
- Total Time
Fire-roasted tomatoes will give this sauce a slightly smoky flavor, a rich contrast to the poached eggs.
no salt added canned crushed tomatoes28 oz, fire roasted
fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth2 cup(s)
uncooked onion(s)¾ cup(s), chopped, yellow or white
chili powder2 Tbsp
ground cumin1 Tbsp
canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce1 item(s), stemmed, seeded and chopped
store-bought adobo sauce2 tsp, from can
minced garlic2 tsp
table salt½ tsp
egg(s)12 item(s), large
- 1. In the insert of a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix tomatoes, broth, onion, chile powder, cumin, chipotle, adobo sauce, garlic, sugar and salt.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. The stew can stay on the keep-warm setting at this point for up to 3 hours.
- 3. Turn slow cooker to high; cover and cook for 10 minutes, until bubbling.
- 4. One at a time, crack eggs into a small cup or ramekin; slip them into sauce, creating a small well with lip of cup or ramekin as eggs are put into the sauce. Use only as many eggs at one time as will fit without touching (4 – 6, depending on the shape of your model). Cover and cook on high for 5 - 6 minutes, until whites are set but yolks are runny.
- 5. Use a large slotted spoon to transfer the eggs to serving bowls; cover to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Divide the sauce among the eggs to serve.
- Serving size: 2 eggs and 3/4 cup sauce.