Chicken breasts cook up tender in a cider-based braising liquid with onions and apples. It’s a great fall dish, especially good to make ahead for a crowd.
- 2 large fresh apple(s), Fuji variety, peeled, sliced
- 1 large uncooked Spanish onion(s), or yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 2 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
- 3/4 cup(s) apple cider
- 2 tsp mustard, grainy variety
- 2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3/4 cup(s) shredded red cabbage
- 3/4 cup(s) shredded carrot(s)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, divided
- 1 tsp rosemary, chopped
- 12 item(s) reduced calorie hamburger roll(s), toasted
Place apples and onion in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker; top with chicken.
In a small bowl, whisk together cider, mustard, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW until chicken is cooked through, 5-6 hours.
Meanwhile, when chicken is almost done cooking, in a medium bowl, toss together cabbage, carrots and 2 tsp vinegar; season to taste and set aside.
Using two forks, shred chicken in slow cooker; stir in remaining 1 tsp vinegar and rosemary. Season to taste, if necessary, and spoon 1/2 c chicken mixture onto each roll bottom. Top each with 2 Tbsp slaw; cover with roll tops.
Serving size: 1 sandwich.
- The chicken mixture is also fabulous on its own, over a bed of arugula, or served with whole grains.