Slow Cooker Cider-Braised Pulled Chicken-Apple Sandwiches
- Total Time
Chicken breasts cook up tender in a cider-based braising liquid with onions and apples. It’s a great fall dish, especially good to make ahead for a crowd.
fresh apple(s)2 large, Fuji variety, peeled, sliced
uncooked Spanish onion(s)1 large, or yellow onion, sliced thinly
uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)2 pound(s)
apple cider¾ cup(s)
mustard2 tsp, grainy variety
kosher salt2 tsp, or to taste
black pepper½ tsp, or to taste
poultry seasoning½ tsp
shredded red cabbage¾ cup(s)
shredded carrot(s)¾ cup(s)
apple cider vinegar1 Tbsp, divided
rosemary1 tsp, chopped
reduced calorie hamburger roll(s)12 item(s), toasted
- Place apples and onion in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker; top with chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cider, mustard, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW until chicken is cooked through, 5-6 hours.
- Meanwhile, when chicken is almost done cooking, in a medium bowl, toss together cabbage, carrots and 2 tsp vinegar; season to taste and set aside.
- Using two forks, shred chicken in slow cooker; stir in remaining 1 tsp vinegar and rosemary. Season to taste, if necessary, and spoon 1/2 c chicken mixture onto each roll bottom. Top each with 2 Tbsp slaw; cover with roll tops.
- Serving size: 1 sandwich.