Slow cooker balsamic-braised chicken with kale
- Total Time
white all-purpose flour3 Tbsp
table salt¾ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
uncooked bone in skinless chicken thigh24 oz, trimmed
olive oil1 Tbsp
uncooked red onion(s)4 medium, thinly sliced
canned diced tomatoes14 ½ oz
canned chicken broth½ cup(s)
balsamic vinegar2 Tbsp
fresh thyme1 tsp
uncooked kale5 oz, baby variety
- 1 Mix together flour, salt, and pepper on sheet of wax paper. Coat chicken with seasoned flour, shaking off excess.
- 2 Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plate. Add onions to skillet and cook, stirring often, until onion is browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer onions to 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.
- 3 Add tomatoes, broth, vinegar, and thyme to slow cooker and stir to mix well. Place chicken in slow cooker and spoon onion mixture over. Cover and cook until chicken is fork-tender, about 4 hours on low.
- 4 Transfer chicken to plate and keep warm. Stir kale into slow cooker and let stand, uncovered, until kale is wilted, about 5 minutes. Divide chicken evenly among 4 plates. Top with vegetable mixture. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Serving size: 1 chicken thigh and 1/2 cup vegetables