- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium uncooked shallot(s), chopped
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dill, chopped
- 4 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1/2 pound(s) uncooked potato(es), small fingerling variety, very thinly sliced
- 4 oz uncooked pea shoots, finely chopped
- 16 oz egg white(s)
- 6 oz reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup(s) 2% reduced fat milk
- 1 large egg(s)
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, fennel seed and red pepper flakes; cook until slightly softened, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add spinach, season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper; cook until wilted, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes (cook spinach in batches if necessary). Stir in parsley and dill; remove from skillet and set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
Generously coat bottom and sides of skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add potatoes in a single layer, overlapping slightly until they completely line bottom of skillet; cook potatoes, just until they begin to soften, 2 minutes (season with salt and pepper, optional).
Squeeze out excess moisture from spinach mixture; evenly scatter over potatoes. Sprinkle with pea shoots; set aside.
Whisk together egg whites, feta, milk, egg and lemon zest until well-combined; gently whisk in 1/8 tsp salt and pinch pepper (optional). Pour egg mixture into skillet; bake until set, 25-30 minutes.
Remove from oven; let sit 5 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.
Serving size: 1 piece