Skillet Corn Bread
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 cup(s) yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg(s), beaten
- 1/3 cup(s) vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup(s) honey
- 1 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- 2 cup(s) frozen corn kernels, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder; mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine egg, oil, honey and buttermilk; mix well and stir into dry ingredients. Stir in corn and pour batter into prepared skillet.
- Bake until top turns golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes. Slice into 12 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.
*Could affect SmartPoitns value. Serve this recipe as a side dish with chili or chicken, toasted as a snack or enjoy it for breakfast broken up in a bowl of cold skim milk.