Stuffed french toast with sauteed pear topping
butter flavour cooking spray
4 small, ripe, unpeeled, cored, seeded and diced
unpacked brown sugar
part-skim ricotta cheese
whole wheat bread
regular liquid egg substitute
fat free creamer
⅓ cup(s), such as fat-free 1/2 and 1/2
- Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add pears and brown sugar; sauté over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until pears are tender and juicy (about 5 minutes). Remove from skillet and set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
- Combine ricotta cheese, cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and stir well. Spread 1/4 cup of cheese mixture over each of 4 bread slices. Top with remaining 4 bread slices to form sandwiches.
- Stir egg substitute and half-and-half together in a shallow bowl.
- Recoat skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Dip each sandwich into egg mixture and turn to coat. Place 2 sandwiches at a time in skillet and cook for 4 minutes per side, or until browned. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- To serve, cut each sandwich in half and spoon pears on top. Yields 1 sandwich and about 1/2 cup of pears per serving.