Rustic Roasted Ratatouille Soup
- Total Time
Roasting the vegetables lends incredible flavor to this recipe. The vegetables become super silky and rich.
eggplant(s)7 cup(s), diced (1 large)
table salt2 tsp, divided
uncooked zucchini4 cup(s), diced (2 medium)
sweet red pepper(s)3 cup(s), diced (2 large)
cooking spray4 spray(s)
olive oil1 tsp
uncooked onion(s)2 cup(s), diced (1 large)
garlic clove(s)2 large clove(s), minced
red pepper flakes⅛ tsp
fennel seed1 tsp
Italian seasoning1 tsp
canned diced tomatoes26 oz, (1 carton)
fat free chicken broth4 cup(s), or vegetable broth
basil½ cup(s), chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- Arrange oven racks in bottom 1/3 of oven. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spread eggplant in an even layer on one prepared baking sheet; lightly coat with cooking spray and season with 3/4 tsp salt. Spread zucchini and peppers across second prepared pan; lightly coat with cooking spray and season with 3/4 tsp salt. Roast until lightly browned, stirring and rotating pans halfway through, 35-40 minutes.
- While vegetables roast, heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and remaining 1/2 tsp salt; cook, stirring frequently, until extremely soft, 10 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, fennel seed and Italian seasoning; cook, stirring a few times, 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and broth to pot; stir and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes.
- Add roasted vegetables to pot; stir and cook for flavors to meld, 5 minutes. Stir in basil.
- Serving size: 1 cup