Roasting the vegetables lends incredible flavor to this recipe. The vegetables become super silky and rich.
- 7 cup(s) eggplant(s), diced (1 large)
- 2 tsp table salt, divided
- 4 cup(s) uncooked zucchini, diced (2 medium)
- 3 cup(s) sweet red pepper(s), diced (2 large)
- 4 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), diced (1 large)
- 2 large clove(s) garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 26 oz canned diced tomatoes, (1 carton)
- 4 cup(s) fat free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup(s) basil, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
Arrange oven racks in bottom 1/3 of oven. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
Spread eggplant in an even layer on one prepared baking sheet; lightly coat with cooking spray and season with 3/4 tsp salt. Spread zucchini and peppers across second prepared pan; lightly coat with cooking spray and season with 3/4 tsp salt. Roast until lightly browned, stirring and rotating pans halfway through, 35-40 minutes.
While vegetables roast, heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and remaining 1/2 tsp salt; cook, stirring frequently, until extremely soft, 10 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, fennel seed and Italian seasoning; cook, stirring a few times, 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and broth to pot; stir and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes.
Add roasted vegetables to pot; stir and cook for flavors to meld, 5 minutes. Stir in basil.
Serving size: 1 cup