Roasted vegetables over polenta
5 spray(s), Vegetable Mixture
Sweet red pepper(s)
3 medium, cut into large chunks
½ pound(s), baby-variety, wiped clean, cut into large chunks
1 medium, ends trimmed, cut into large chunks
1 medium, peeled, ends trimmed, cut into large chunks
Frozen pearl onion(s)
1½ cup(s), or 12 fresh pearl onions
2 Tbsp, divided
1 tsp, divided
2 cup(s), halved
3 large clove(s), minced
2 Tbsp, fresh, cut into fine ribbons*
2 Tbsp, fresh, minced Polenta
Fat free vegetable broth
Uncooked unenriched white cornmeal
Grated Parmesan cheese
¾ cup(s), Pecorino Romano suggested
1 tsp, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Generously coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Place peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant and onions in prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon oil and 3/4 teaspoon salt; gently toss to coat. Roast for about 15 minutes; toss and roast until browned in spots and at desired degree of doneness, about 15 to 25 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss tomatoes with remaining tablespoon oil, garlic, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, basil and parsley; set aside and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- When vegetables are finished cooking, remove from oven and add tomato mixture to roasting pan; combine thoroughly and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, to make polenta, in a medium saucepan, combine broth, milk and bay leaf; bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat. When liquid has just started to boil, slowly pour in cornmeal, stirring continuously. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until polenta is smooth and well-combined, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon vegetables over polenta and garnish with thyme. Yields about 1 cup vegetables and 1/2 cup polenta per serving.