- 2 1/2 pound(s) uncooked lean and trimmed lamb leg(s), boneless, trimmed and tied into a roast
- 2 tsp table salt, divided
- 2 tsp rosemary, fresh, finely minced (or to taste)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, fresh, finely minced (or to taste)
- 6 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), finely minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 pound(s) uncooked potato(es), fingerling suggested, scrubbed but not peeled
- 3 pound(s) uncooked asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 4 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
Preheat oven to 425ºF.
To make lamb, set lamb in a large roasting pan. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon of salt, rosemary, thyme, garlic and 1 teaspoon of oil; rub all over lamb.* Place pan in middle of oven and cook for 20 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 300ºF and roast until desired degree of doneness, about 25 to 30 minutes more. Remove lamb to a cutting board or serving platter and allow it to rest, loosely covered with aluminum foil, for 10 to 20 minutes before slicing across the grain; spoon any juices over top.
After lamb has been removed from oven, increase oven temperature to 425ºF.
To make potatoes, while lamb is roasting, heat a large pot of water over high heat; boil or steam potatoes until just fork tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Do not allow potatoes to become mushy.
Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Using 2 teaspoons of oil, place 12 dots of oil on each sheet. Place a potato on a dot of oil and carefully smash it with a spatula or back of a small bowl or plate. (You want it smashed but not in pieces.) Repeat until all potatoes have been smashed. Drizzle 2 teaspoons of oil over potatoes and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt. Roast potatoes until desired crispness, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make asparagus, coat another baking sheet with cooking spray; top with asparagus. Drizzle remaining teaspoon of oil over asparagus; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and roll asparagus to coat. Roast at 425ºF until tender, about 10 to 14 minutes, depending on asparagus size.
Yields about 2 potatoes, 3 ounces of lamb and 4 to 6 asparagus spears per serving.
- *You can prepare the lamb with the rub and allow it to sit, covered, in the refrigerator for 24 hours before you cook it. ** Cooking time will vary depending on the potatoes you choose. Change the flavor of the roast by changing the rub: try sage or oregano instead of thyme or our mustard paste recipe. Or simply rub a little salt, pepper, olive oil and parsley all over the lamb (could affect SmartPoints value).