Roasted Curried Beets with Chive Ricotta
- Total Time
Try to choose beets that are the same size so they will cook in the same amount of time.
olive oil4 tsp
curry powder2 tsp
table salt¾ tsp, or to taste
black pepper¼ tsp, freshly ground, or to taste
uncooked beets2 pound(s), greens and stems trimmed, well-scrubbed under cold water
part-skim ricotta cheese⅔ cup(s)
sherry vinegar2 tsp
chives1 Tbsp, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place a large sheet of aluminum foil on a baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Place beets on prepared pan; coat with curry mixture. Fold foil over beets: tightly crimp edges to seal package (leave 1/2-inch of space between beets and top of foil).
- Bake until beets are tender, 45-60 minutes. (Check for doneness, by inserting a small sharp knife through the foil into a beet - it should show no resistance. If it still feels hard, roast 10-15 minutes more before checking again for doneness.) Remove from oven and let cool. Carefully unwrap foil, being careful as steam can build up in the packet. If beets are young, the skin is edible. For mature beets, when cool enough to touch, remove skins with your fingers or use paring knife. Do not toss foil as there should still be some oil in the packet.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta and vinegar in a small bowl.
- Cut beets into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Serve warm or at room temperature topped with ricotta mixture, oil from foil packet and a sprinkle of chives; grind fresh pepper over top, if desired.
- Serving size: 3/4 c beets and 3 Tbsp ricotta mixture