Roasted curried beets with chive ricotta
¾ tsp, or to taste
¼ tsp, freshly ground, or to taste
2 pound(s), greens and stems trimmed, well-scrubbed under cold water
part-skim ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place a large sheet of aluminum foil on a baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Place beets on prepared pan; coat with curry mixture. Fold foil over beets: tightly crimp edges to seal package (leave 1/2-inch of space between beets and top of foil).
- Bake until beets are tender, 45-60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Carefully unwrap foil, being careful as steam can build up in the packet. If beets are young, the skin is edible. For mature beets, when cool enough to touch, remove skins with your fingers or use paring knife. Do not toss foil as there should still be some oil in the packet.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta and vinegar in a small bowl.
- Cut beets into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Serve warm or at room temperature topped with ricotta mixture, oil from foil packet and a sprinkle of chives; grind fresh pepper over top, if desired.
- Serving size: 3/4 c beets and 3 Tbsp ricotta mixture