Risotto with Asparagus & Shrimp
1 pound(s), trimmed and cut into 1½- to 2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
No-salt-added chicken stock
⅓ cup(s), finely chopped
1 Tbsp, leaves
Uncooked arborio rice
⅓ cup(s), dry
1 pound(s), large, peeled and deveined
Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the asparagus over high heat until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain the asparagus and rinse under cold water until cool. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the stock and ⅓ cup water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add the shallot and thyme and cook until softened, about 3 minutes, stirring often. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Add the wine. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until the liquid is mostly absorbed, about 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add 1 cup of the warm stock to the pan and cook until the liquid is mostly absorbed, about 3 minutes, stirring very frequently. Continue to add the warm stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring between additions, until the liquid is mostly absorbed and the rice is almost al dente, reserving the last ⅓ cup of stock.
- Stir in the salt and black pepper, then the shrimp. Cook until the shrimp are cooked through and the rice is tender but al dente, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often. Remove the pan from heat. Stir in the remaining ⅓ cup of stock and the cheese. Gently fold in the asparagus. Serve immediately.
- Serving size: about 1½ cups