Ricotta and spinach–stuffed cabbage
Uncooked savoy cabbage
8 leaf/leaves, large size
Part-skim ricotta cheese
15 oz, (1 container)
Fresh baby spinach
1½ cup(s), or fresh flat-leaf, chopped
4 medium, thinly sliced
Grated Parmesan cheese
Canned tomato sauce
1 oz, made into shavings with vegetable peeler
- Place cabbage leaves on large microwavable plate; cover with damp paper towel. Microwave on High until softened, 3–4 minutes. Transfer cabbage to cutting board. When cool enough to handle, trim thick ribs at base of leaves.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, stir together ricotta, spinach, scallions, egg, grated Parmesan, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in large bowl.
- Place 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture in center of each cabbage leaf. Fold in opposite sides and roll up to enclose filling. Place cabbage rolls, seam-side down, in 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Top with tomato sauce. Cover and cook until cabbage is fork-tender, 3–4 hours on HIgh or 6–7 hours on Low.
- Sprinkle cabbage rolls with basil and shaved Parmesan. Put 2 cabbage rolls on each plate; top with tomato sauce.
- Per serving: 2 cabbage rolls and 2 tablespoons tomato sauce