Red curry roast chicken with coconut sauce
- Total Time
Spicy red curry paste seasons the chicken and the sauce in this Thai-inspired recipe. Definitely not your grandmother’s roast chicken! Serve it with brown rice and steamed vegetables for a meal that updates the classic chicken dinner.
cooking spray1 spray(s)
lemon grass1 Tbsp, , grated + 1 whole stalk lemongrass
cilantro⅓ cup(s), fresh, chopped plus cilantro sprigs, for garnish
fresh mint leaves⅓ cup(s), chopped
ginger root1 Tbsp, fresh, peeled, grated
ginger root¼ cup(s), sliced
table salt¾ tsp
raw skinless boneless light and dark meat2 ¼ pound(s), 1 (4 1/2-pound) whole chicken)
fresh lime(s)1 medium, halved
Thai curry paste2 ½ Tbsp, red variety
reduced fat coconut milk1 cup(s)
reduced fat coconut milk1 Tbsp
canned chicken broth1 cup(s)
unpacked brown sugar1 tsp
roasted salted shelled peanuts¼ cup(s), (dry-roasted), chopped
fresh lime(s)1 item(s), cut into wedges
- 1 Preheat oven to 425F. Set rack in medium roasting pan. Spray rack and pan with nonstick spray.
- 2 Grate 1 lemongrass stalk. Stir together grated lemongrass, the chopped cilantro, mint, grated ginger, and salt in cup. With your fingers, loosen skin on chicken breasts, legs, and thighs. Rub herb mixture on meat under skin; press skin back into place. Cut remaining lemongrass stalk into thirds. Place lime halves, lemongrass pieces, and sliced ginger inside chicken cavity.
- Tuck wings under chicken and tie legs together with kitchen string. Stir together 1 tablespoon curry paste and 1 tablespoon coconut milk in another cup; rub all over chicken. Place chicken on rack, breast side up. Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh registers 165°F, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 4 Transfer chicken to cutting board and let stand 10 minutes.
- 5 Strain pan juices into measuring cup and skim off visible fat. Set roasting pan over 2 burners. Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons curry paste and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add pan juices and broth and bring to boil over high heat, stirring with wooden spoon to scrape up browned bits from bottom of pan. Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until broth is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 cup coconut milk and the brown sugar; simmer until heated through.
- 6 Carve chicken into 8 pieces. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro sprigs and serve with sauce and lime wedges. Remove skin before eating.
- Serving size: 1 piece chicken and generous 2 tablespoons sauce