Ramp Risotto with Lemon & Hazelnuts
- Total Time
Ramps are wild onions harvested in North America in late April through early summer. If you can’t find any, swap scallions in their place.
fresh ramps6 oz, trimmed (or trimmed scallion greens)
extra virgin olive oil2 tsp, divided
fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth6 cup(s)
uncooked leek(s)1 medium, trimmed, halved, sliced (white & light green parts only)
garlic clove(s)1 medium clove(s), chopped
fresh thyme1 tsp, chopped, plus 2 sprigs
kosher salt½ tsp, (plus extra to taste)
black pepper¼ tsp, freshly ground (plus extra to taste)
uncooked arborio rice1 ½ cup(s)
white wine⅓ cup(s), dry variety
low fat cream cheese1 Tbsp
lemon zest1 tsp, grated
grated Parmigiano-Reggiano¼ cup(s), finely grated
hazelnuts, whole¼ cup(s), toasted, chopped (1 1/2 oz)
chives2 Tbsp, chopped
- Set out a medium bowl of ice water.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a medium Dutch oven. Add ramps (or scallions) and cook until just wilted and bright green, 1 minute; transfer with slotted spoon to ice water to stop cooking, 2-3 minutes. Drain; squeeze out any extra moisture.
- In a blender, puree ramps (or scallions) and 1 tsp oil until smooth; set aside.
- Heat broth in a medium saucepan over very low heat; keep warm while you prepare risotto.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in the Dutch oven over medium heat; add leek and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 2 minutes. Add garlic, chopped thyme and thyme sprigs, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute more. Add rice; cook, stirring, until it toasts slightly, 2 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring until it is fully absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 c warm broth to Dutch oven; cook, stirring constantly, until rice almost fully absorbs broth. Continue adding broth, 1 cup at a time, until all has been added, and rice is tender but still slightly al dente, 20 minutes.
- Stir in ramp (or scallion) puree, cream cheese and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove thyme sprigs, then serve sprinkled with Parmesan, nuts and chives.
- Serving size: 1 c