Quinoa and tomato salad
2 cup(s), or cherry tomatoes, red and/or yellow
white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp, or more to taste
½ tsp, or more to taste
¼ tsp, or more to taste
2 Tbsp, fresh, minced
- Put quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve or fine strainer. Place under cold running water until water runs clear (this eliminates the bitter taste contained in quinoa's coating); drain well. (Or you can buy certain brands of quinoa that are pre-rinsed.)
- Place rinsed quinoa in a medium saucepan and cover with 2 cups of cold water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the grains are translucent and the germ has come out of each grain, about 15 minutes. Cover and remove from heat; let sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon quinoa into a large bowl and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, finely chop tomatoes, reserving 2 tablespoons of the tomato juice; set tomatoes aside.
- In a cup, combine tomato juice, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and chives; stir well.
- When quinoa is at room temperature, stir in chopped tomatoes; add tomato vinaigrette and toss again. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.