- Total Time
olive oil1 tsp
uncooked onion(s)1 medium, chopped
garlic clove(s)2 medium clove(s), minced
ginger root1 Tbsp, peeled and grated fresh
fat free reduced sodium vegetable broth4 cup(s)
uncooked pumpkin3 pound(s), sugar variety, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks (6 cups)
fresh apple(s)1 large, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
table salt¾ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
light sour cream¼ cup(s)
roasted pumpkin seed kernels3 Tbsp
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth, pumpkin, apple, salt, and pepper to Dutch oven and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until pumpkin is very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and let soup cool 5 minutes. Puree soup in blender in batches.
- Return soup to Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream. Serve sprinkled with pumpkin seeds.
- Per serving: 1 cup soup and 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin seeds