Potato Cheese Soup
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 2 medium uncooked carrot(s), coarsely grated
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 pound(s) uncooked potato(es), cut into 1/2-inch cubes (use small red potatoes)
- 29 fl oz reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup(s) fat-free half-and-half
- 8 oz low fat cheddar or colby cheese
- Coat a medium-size nonstick pot with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Cook onions, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in carrots, salt, pepper, paprika and mustard; cook, stirring a few times, until carrots begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, broth and half-and-half; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes; add cheese and stir until melted. Puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or puree in batches using a regular blender). Yields about 1 heaping cup per serving.
Thyme and potatoes are a delicious combination. Add 1/4 teaspoon crushed, dried thyme with the seasonings, if desired.