Pot Roast with Gravy
- Total Time
Serve this dish with roasted potatoes or egg noodles to soak up the rich gravy. Leftovers make incredible sandwiches.
paprika1 ½ Tbsp, sweet-variety
dark brown sugar1 Tbsp
table salt1 ½ tsp
black pepper1 tsp, freshly ground
uncooked lean and trimmed beef brisket3 pound(s), washed and patted dry
olive oil cooking spray3 spray(s)
uncooked onion(s)2 ½ pound(s), sliced
uncooked carrot(s)3 small, sliced
bay leaf2 leaf/leaves
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.*
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, sugar, salt and pepper; rub all over meat.
- Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat. Sear meat until well-browned on outside (including edges), about 3 to 5 minutes per side; remove meat and set aside. Add onions, carrots, bay leaves and water to pot, scraping bottom of pot to incorporate pan drippings. Place meat on top of vegetables and cover tightly; place in oven and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove pot from oven and transfer meat to a cutting board; cut meat into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Keep meat tightly packed so slices are each stacked against one another and it remains in the same shape as before you cut the meat.
- Working in batches, process vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour half of pureed gravy back into pot, carefully place meat on top and finish pouring gravy over the meat. Cover pot and place back in oven; cook for 1 more hour.
- Serving size: 4 to 5 slices meat and 1/2 c gravy